Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thanks Tyler

Heres some writing from my friend Tyler, I wanted to get other people i ride with to just write what ever comes to their mind, here is his, enjoy......

First off, you'll have to forgive the lack of direction with this post. I knew I wanted to write something, just not exactly what, or where I wanted it to go. I don’t know why I ever stopped riding. It seems that once I hit 14 I forgot about bicycles in general. I don’t particularly know why it happened, but here I am six years later feeling like I have rediscovered something great. When I was young, my bike was my only transportation. In the summer both my parents would be working for the majority of the day, leaving me home with no real way to get anywhere. If I wanted to head over to a friend’s house (more specifically a friend with a pool) I couldn’t ask for a ride, I had to pedal myself over. Georgetown had a small bike shop, and if I had some time to kill I was riding down, and would walk aimlessly around the shop (trying to appear as if I was looking to buy something, but secretly watching the mechanics work on bikes and trying to figure out what exactly they were doing, then going home and trying to do the same to my own whip)I think that bicycling is something I associate with my childhood. I can remember doing countless laps up and down my street, and going OTB when I tried riding no hands and no feet down my hill. Some of the first good friends I made were neighborhood kids who happened to be out riding one day, there was an impromptu game of red light green light, and then contests to see who could make the longest skid in some sand with their coaster brake. (So young and already having basic trackstand and skid comps!) To me, it’s not just the riding that makes bicycling so much fun. It’s the sense of community surrounding the activity itself. There is energy. It could be felt last Friday at critical mass. I don’t know how to explain it, but if you were there I think you know what I'm talking about. You could see it on the face of the little kids we slowly paraded by through Amherst Center. You knew that if they had their streamer rocking, top tube pad wearing, baseball card spinning bikes right then, they would have joined the fray. Our critical mass wasn’t as much of a protest, as it was a large group of riders looking to go for an easy ride with some friends. I like going. Nowhere in particular, just riding. It’s like going for a relaxing cruise in a car, but a bit more energizing and open to your surroundings. There have been several nights at 1 or 2 when I’ve gotten some funny looks as I walk my bike down the hall and out into the (until recently) cold frosty nights. I'm just going for a ride to clear my head and get out of my stuffy dorm room. Last night I gave a friend a call around 3:45 and we both went out for a short lap around campus. (I didn’t realize quite how tired and under the influence I was until we hit some moderate uphills- sorry if you were looking to ride around longer man!) Friends down the hall will ask 'Where are you going?' I just smile and respond with 'Just Going.'

No comments:

Post a Comment