Saturday, March 28, 2009

We were out, and so were the Cops.

We have started to coordinate ourselves a bit better. We all show up at 10 or a little after organize and ride out. But the bar we meet at has become uncomfortable with our presence each Friday, saying the our gathering of bikes at a bike themed bar drives business away. So be it. It is true, we are not all 21 but when that time come I am sure all of use will show up earlier and grab a beer or two from The Spoke before we head out, but this is all an issue of public verse private space and who owns the side walk. This is an issue that I have run into before in my home town of Danvers Mass.

Unusually hot October day, I have been working since 7 a.m. at Marthas Bread Basket when 12 o'clock rolls around and the high school gets out for an early release. This is great for local business because all the kids flock down and hang out for a few hours before their normal time to go home. Sure it seems like a flood of kids at times, but its is also safe to say that a business can make a few hundred dollars more than any other normal day. So, there are a few kids eating some food and having a drink in front of my store when a cop comes up and tells them to leave. Seeing this I head out and ask what the problem is, the cop tells me the old ladies are concerned with the kids in down town, well it is none of their concern who is down there and what they are doing as long as they are not starting any trouble, which they were not. So because these kids "ruined" some old ladies lunches a massive attack by the local police ensues. After the cop tells me I do not own the side walk and that no one can be on our tables and chairs regardless of them buying anything in my store he leaves. I tell the kids they have every right to sit and finish their food then leave, five minutes later one of the kids has his face smashed up against the store front and is being cuffed, for sitting and eating a sandwich, this kid was only 16. I run out and demand to know whats going on and am met with a quick,"Shut the fuck up and get inside.", well I open my big mouth and yell at him as he parades this kid through town to his cruiser. No more than 15 minutes go by and three officers come into my store and ask me to go outside, I tell them I need to punch out and go with them. "Where do you get off calling me an asshole you fuck?" "You think you own this store and the sidewalk?", these are the questions I am met with as I am asked to turn around and get cuffed for disorderly conduct, not having my rights read to me or told until the next day at the court house, what I was being arrested for. It is in my opinion and the opinion of my employer at the time that the cops were the ones causing a scene, disturbance and over all poor conduct, they don't own the side walk either. So I got 20 hours community service and my record was cleared.

From being told to leave the bar front, we head to our trusty pals house and have a few before going out. We head to an undisclosed party and are welcomed right in despite our large numbers. Its a nice time, we all chat outside and slowly become inebriated. Things are going well and we have one of the best human pyramids to date, then flash lights and navy blue uniforms. "If you don't live here get out." a deep female voice rumbles from behind a mag light. All of us drop our beers, put them away, what ever and move out, we immediately have another place to go and swiftly go. Next party we know some people and are having a good time, giving each other knuckle tattoos and mustaches with sharpies mingling and what not, then another hush is forced over the group as word of cops enters. The party down stairs is being shut down and it seems that the one we are at is next. We leave again due to cops. Now, I begin to think they have us figured out and are using us to shut down parties and if that is the case then fuck. So we head to a party way out in the more rural part of town. The ride there is super fun however, all down hill, fast but scary because its dark as a dragons cave in spots. we get to this party and are informed its an underwear party. We all get down to our briefs and hang out. I'm out of beer at this point so I help myself to one and see whats going on. Not much, ex-girlfriend there making things awkward as usual, not saying hello, shitty stuff. I head back home with a friend and we tackle the up hill ride home, grunting and cursing the whole way. But I will say we charged it hard and my legs hurt in the best way because of it.

It is sad to think that we could have been the reason a few people got arrested last night. Or that the space of sidewalks will be disputed as public or private for a time to come. Also, why a group trying to do something positive and fun may be being used for the gain of a corrupt group of men and women who forget that they were once kids, they are human beings and are on they same level as you or I and that it fucking sucks to be arrested for something so petty and inconsequential as having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment